I checked my time. 33 minutes left in the biochem final. 40 questions left. Crud.
"It's ok. I know this is your first exam. But, you are almost done. GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!"
I normally don't talk at myself. My thoughts - like most normal and non-insane people - are in the first person - "I think I will go make a sandwich" as opposed to "You! Over there! Go make me a PB&J!"
Yet, I learned while studying late into the night, that talking out loud and trying to explain enzymatic activities to myself was helpful. As I reminisce (ahhh, 1st term), it was somewhat comical and even my hubby took to listening to his iPod so he wouldn't have to intimately learn cytochrome P-450 pathways.
Biochem was the biggie in terms of talking out loud, following the enzyme, cofactor, factor, or whatever to its end process. I felt that if I could explain it to myself, then I understood it. If I could explain it to someone who had no idea what I was talking about, then not only did I really understand it, but I also, most likely, wouldn't forget it. So, I would call up my sis on Skype (computer-to-computer calling service, which is awesome by the way - highly recommend it for those coming down to SGU) to chat about coagulation cascades. She would just sit back and let me talk. Thanks for that.
So, here I was in the biochem exam. Time running out. Mind becoming fatigued. Yet, still being sane enough to realize that at that moment, in the biochem final exam, it would not be advisable to start talking aloud at myself. So, I did the next best thing. Yes, I (silently) talked to myself and with all that practice I had, it was no more "I have to figure this out..." It was "YOU WILL FIGURE THIS OUT...." I gave myself my own little halftime rant. I might have wasted a minute and a couple of virtual gatorade cups thrown against the locker room wall for effect, but I was on my way and I finished with maybe a whole 30 seconds to spare. Crazy how that works.
So every subject had its method. Histology involved a LOT of slide-viewing as I worked out the various tissues, cellular components, and functions. Anatomy involved a lot of movement (adduction, extension, eversion, dorsiflexion, etc) so I could feel the muscles and what their actions were. Anatomy also had volunteers - such as my kids for pediatric physicals or my hubby for a cranial nerve exam. I am still not sure if he has recovered all movement in his right eye. My prof told us to STRESS the nerves if we ever wanted to find a deficit, so I was just being a good medical student.
Most of the various tried and true methods were really helpful but my study group was probably the main reason why I did well on my finals. In those meetings, like no other, subjects were reviewed, sometimes ad nauseum, until we all got it. Next term, we are going to meet a lot more often. It is supposed to only get harder from here. I have parasitology (woo-hoo, I'm gonna love it), genetics, physiology, immunology, neuroscience, and clinical skills in the fall.
So, all that talking paid off. Biochem was my highest final grade. On to term 2!
YOU GO GIRL!
No comments:
Post a Comment