A very inspirational professor once commented about two types of life-changing moments in one's life:
1. The significance of the event is revealed to you in reflective hindsight
2. The significance of the event is apparent to you at the exact moment it is occurring
I would have to say this moment was type #2.
It did not go well: [insert rejection letter from dream medical school here].
I still have not recovered. In fact, I have poured over that single event so many times as to incite OCD concerns from my hubby who has moved on to just stating "let it go" before I even utter a word about it. After watching the compelling "Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch, I decided, once and for all, to learn from it, realize that it did not stop me from pursuing my dream, and move on.
So, what did I learn?

Prepare, Prepare, Prepare
A once in a lifetime opportunity deserves diligent preparation.
Be Yourself
I did not believe in myself. I did not think of myself as worthy of attending the best medical school in the country. It was easier to be what I thought they wanted instead of who I was. It was very transparent and that was a mistake.
Keep the End Goal in Mind
My hopes were dashed for a time, but the brick wall of rejection did not hold me back. While SGU is not the most conventional route, my dream of becoming a physician is now in my grasp.
Stay Positive
This one I need to work on.
Thanks Dr. Pausch. Your words do live on.
No comments:
Post a Comment