Monday, December 15, 2008

Laugh

"Mommy, can you help me build a house, please?"

I thought back to a week ago when I was in the same situation. I had awoke at 5 am to do a last review for my neuroscience final at 9 am when my littlest man wandered out of his bedroom, sleepy, carrying his toys, and asking if I could play with him. I think you can imagine what my response was then.

He looked at me intently, waiting for my answer. Today, I had the right one. "Of course," I smiled, "I am all yours." His eyes lit up and he scampered off to bring over his pail of Legos. We carefully worked for almost an hour. He looked around for the right pieces and I helped him to put them in place.

When we were done, he proudly showed Daddy what he had built with his own little hands. Later, him and his older brother talked about all the different parts of the house and why he decided on such a unique roof for it (so his doggy could live up there). My playdate with my son helped me to relax more than anything else I could have tried. I laughed more than I had in weeks and even got to be creative with Legos too! Yet, more importantly, our hour together changed his whole day.

I need more days like today and not just during vacation. During the term when I am a Mommy and a medical student, there are not enough hours to spend with my boys. I just tend to accept that my life is sorely unbalanced when school is in session. That has got to change.

No comments: