I have been waxing nostalgic lately. My time as a medical student is coming to an end. Graduation is just around the corner and residency soon after. As I reflected on this journey, I was left speechless more often than not. Thus, I decided to read back over my posts to shed some perspective on the past four years and maybe find my written "voice."
So I just finished re-reading my blog. Wow. Just wow.
In some respects, I remember the uncertainty four years ago and almost question my naivety with this important a decision. To say the journey was a risk is an understatement. Had this endeavor not worked out is a very troubling thought and at so many points, it could have done just that. The unified exam, 1st term finals, biochemistry, pathology, not getting the clinical spot that was best for us, family illnesses and injuries, passing US Medical Licensing Exams Step I, Step II CK, and Step II CS, the hours and absolute dedication that was expected in clinicals, interviewing in 14 places and 8 states while on rotations, going for a specialty that was competitive coming from an international school, and having it be in a location near to family for once.
It all worked out. Which is just crazy.
I even got my number one choice of residencies in the best place for our family and in the competitive specialty I wanted. I turned down a pre-match offer from a decent program with the hope that I would get the match I want and it worked. Now, people that know me know that I am not in any way trying to boast or anything and I usually dwell on what can go wrong instead of what can go right, so this mode of thinking is out of my realm, truly. I am just sincerely humbled and feel so privileged to be exactly where I wanted to be when I started this crazy trip. My hubby and I were talking about how far our family has come and we are stronger and happier with memories that are unique and cherished. My kids were able to experience life and culture in another country, my husband found a profession he loves and is amazing at, and I was able to follow my dream that I had since childhood to become a physician.
Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment