Thursday, August 16, 2007

Details

Life is in the details.

Picking up and starting a new life in another country is almost overwhelmingly full of details. Passports, plane tickets, banking, bills, textbooks, paperwork, insurance, and even the electricity is different. My alarm clock will not work in Grenada because it runs on a different voltage. My mind is spinning with details of transformers, plug styles, and surge protectors, all the while dreading the thought of waking up late to my first day of medical school.

Fortunately, there are upperclassmen that have gone through this before and will happily answer critical questions like "What color scrubs do I have to wear" and "Can I kayak to class?" Blue scrubs and yes. Cool.

Yet, what is terribly exciting are the details I will be studying....the names of the cranial nerves, the symptoms of pancreatitis, the pharmacology of ciprofloxacin, the sounds of the heart. With each passing day of my studies, I will delve into the intricacies of the human body, the pathology of disease, and the means to save a life. Life is truly in those details and I intend to know each and every one.

No comments: