Happy Independence Day, Grenada!
It was our first national holiday in our new home. Since we didn't get super Tuesday off, today was definitely a bonus. The hubby and the boys went to the beach and I, drum role please, spent my day with my anatomy lab partners and a bunch of non-living people that for some reason wanted medical students to study their brachial plexus!!! I heard the beach was much better.
I wasn't sure how crazy today would be since the preparations for this day have been filled with festive flags all along the streets, Grenada themed crafts at the kids' school, people wearing crazy outfits of red, yellow, and green, dying their hair various national colors, and big boom boxes and stages set up at the various gathering places. I thought that maybe it would be like Carnivale. So, we were surprised that Grenadians, much like our 4th of July, like to sit around, relax, drink Carib beer, and grill on their Independence Day.
After dinner, we tried to see the fireworks but since it gets dark here everyday at about 6 pm and I didn't get out of lab until after 6 pm, we must have missed it. The kids really love fireworks. In Boulder, we would have been sitting on the hill at rocket ship park, with a pizza picnic and glowy sticks waiting for the first booms of our favorite Nobel creation. In Baltimore, my soon-to-be hubby lived in a neighborhood where you just avoided going outside on the 4th, as people would be shooting off their guns into the air and you could just hope that one lone bullet wouldn't ricochet into you. At least, now I can say with confidence that I know what structures that bullet would hit if it went into the back, shoulder, or arm and what motor and sensory deficiencies would occur as a result.
However sarcastic I may be, I was sooo thankful for the extra time and I was looking forward to getting the underarm structures done. I am not quite there yet, but I have the entire weekend to get this stuff down. I can't wait!!! Yippee..
No comments:
Post a Comment