Studying-wise - today was not a good day.
In medical school, the powers-that-be strongly encourage students to study in groups. Yet, a bunch of stressed-out students together in a small room for hours upon end can definitely lead to some interesting group dynamics. Especially when we aren't allowed to eat or drink anything but water for the entire time.
Hungry students = Crabby students
So, I am in a group for anatomy and another for biochem. Both have extremely bright people in them but the anatomy group is hard core. On a weekend day, we start at 8 am and go till 6:30 pm with only a break for lunch. In the morning, we cover everything from the lectures from the previous week and then go to the lab in the afternoon/night to find the structures on the body. What stands out about the anatomy group is that we are all learning as we are going. Not just reviewing or comparing notes, but retaining, long term, I know this finally, dedicated to memory, good stuff.
On the other hand, my biochem group is only 3 hours and we discuss items briefly and move on through the checklist of questions. As if checking off an item is more important than learning the concept that is crucial for us doing well at SGU and later on the US Medical Licensing Exams. I find it so very frustrating! So today, I just started asking a lot of questions about the material. Everyone was annoyed but after a while, we were really discussing biochem and not just glossing over it. Still, the group wasn't very receptive and we hardly got through anything but I, at least, felt like I learned something. After the group was over, one member said she was glad I spoke up but I still feel like unless something changes, I am not sure it is beneficial that I be part of that group.
While undergrad focused on the minutia of one subject, medical school takes large concepts of each subject and relates them to what is life, death, disease, and the human body. It is the constant asking of why, why, why? The body is a compilation of biochem, histo, anatomy, and other subjects, all tied together in amazing, complex, while novel, ways. What is so crucial to my success during the next four years is the ability to integrate that knowledge into a cohesive understanding of medicine. Anything else is just a waste of time.
No comments:
Post a Comment